Friday, April 12, 2013

April Dumpling Box Review

First of all, sorry for not posting in over a week! I just haven't really gotten anything to review lately. Expect a double graze box review tomorrow though!

Dumpling Box is a monthly snacking subscription box focused on Asian Snacks. When I fist saw this box, I immediately subscribed, since I LOVE Asian snacks a lot! I am always a little biased to anything Asian though, but this is my fourth month of this box and I think it is awesome! None of the boxes so far have been disappointing.

Dumpling Box costs $10 a month including shipping. It is paid with a recurring payment thing from Paypal. I am pretty sure that everyone gets their box delivered on different days, because everyone pays on different days. This box is usually the first box I get every month, so I think I get it earlier than most. I once told Anisha at Everyone Loves a Treasure that I received my dumpling box in the previous week and she said that she didn't even get billed for hers yet! But that isn't much of a negative to the box in my opinion.

Each box comes with a little info card with a list of all the products with their ingredients and their country of origin. I don't think this is particularly a box for a health nut, since Asian snacks tend to be more processed than snacks sent in most sub boxes. These don't seem to bad for you though. On the other side of the card, Shelly (the founder) writes a little summary and usually a story about one or two of the products. This time there was a story about the discovery of tea and the invention of the tea bag. She also said that this box included a competition between two types of pumpkin snacks, and two types of jelly ones.

The outside of the box
Daliyuan Soft French Bread Banana Flavor (China)- This kinda reminded me of Hawaiian rolls, but with a slight banana flavor. If you've had them you know what I am talking about. I didn't like it as much as the rolls, but it was still good.

Saquima (China)- This was my favorite thing in the box by far. The texture of this pastry was just so awesome. It had a little crunch and it was surprisingly soft sometimes. It was kinda sweet, but not overpoweringly sweet, pretty awesome snack in my opinion.
Pumpkin Wheat (Korea)- This was some sort of hard-ish pumpkin taffy. It was super hard at first, but after it was in your mouth for a while, it softened up and was pretty tasty. I'm not sure if I liked it better than the other pumpkin thing (see below).

Pumpkin Seed Biscuit (Hong Kong)- This had a nice crunch too it. I like pumpkin seeds, but it just wasn't too spectacular.

IKC Assorted Jelly (Korea)- I am pretty sure the writing on this isn't in Korean, so I think I received a different product. It was still jelly though, so maybe not. I didn't no what flavor it was. The best way I can describe it is a salty cola. Yeah, I didn't like it very much.

Chaoli Lemon Flavor Candy (China)- This was a standard lemon candy, nothing too special.



Green Tea Biscuits (China)- These had a really nice texture to them, and I really liked the subtle green tea flavor. Pretty good overall.

Inaba Irodori (Japan)- I've had this before and it is just a nice savory snack, so I thought it was pretty tasty, but I'm a sucker for savory snacks, especially Asian ones. This had a jumble of ingredients like Wasabi peas and rice crackers.

Ten Candy Ton (Taiwan)- This was interesting. The outer cone tasted a little weird but the inside was filled with delicious jelly! The cone was OK but the jelly was awesome. I liked this way better than the other jelly product.

I really liked this box. I think I was with Dumpling Box since their very first box and, they have progressively gotten better in my opinion. I think I will be keeping this subscription since it is pretty budget-friendly and I am never disappointed

Verdict: This is a great box, so subscribe if this sounds like your cup of tea or if you just want to mix things up!

No comments:

Post a Comment